We are on Sitecore 9.2 and SXA 1.9. We were facing a very frequent issue on the Production that after every deployment the Sitemap.xml page throws 404. Tried publishing Site, rebuilding indexes and link database but nothing helped. Also investigated at Akamai and WAF end if anything was fishy there but no luck. Surprisingly it takes time but after sometime the page starts working fine by its own.
We ended up with a Sitecore support ticket and learnt it’s a known Sitecore bug that Sitemap.xml throws 404 after every application restarts, was fixed on Sitecore version 10. They provided us a patch to be installed and redirected us to this Knowledge Base Article.
Providing the patch download details here in case the KB article is not accessible. To resolve the issue, download and install the hotfix or the patch compatible with the affected product version:
- Upgrade Sitecore XP instance to 10.0 with SXA 10.0 (recommended)
- For Sitecore 9.0.2 with SXA 1.8.1: Sitecore.Support.393910-22.214.171.124.zip
- For Sitecore XP 9.1.0 with SXA 1.8.1: SC Hotfix 439346-1 SXA 1.8.1 rev. 190319.zip
- For Sitecore XP 9.2.0 with SXA 1.9.0: SC Hotfix-393926-1 SXA 1.9.0 rev. 190528 NOT SC PACKAGE.zip
- For Sitecore XP 9.3.0 with SXA 9.3: SC Hotfix 442077-1 SXA 126.96.36.19989.zip
Hope this helps!